If you are looking for a quick and easy beverage to help you recover from a hard day, and get the medicinal benefits that were only briefly touched upon in the last posting, this simple recipe is for you.
By making this drink for yourself you will be increasing the amount of antioxidants in your body, supporting your immune system, and giving yourself a flood of anti-inflammatory benefits.
Some days my body gets totally worked. Many times this is due to my own practice of pushing my physical limitations in order to increase my adaptability. I'm sure you have had those days when you come home and are just sore all over. Whatever the reason, this magical elixir is one of the best ways to end a hard day. Some people would turn to aspirin or some similar drug.
I was introduced to this beverage by a good friend of mine who is a Yogi. We used the original Ayurvedic recipe to inspire the next evolution of this magical medicinal beverage. This version is Raw, vegan, and happens to be much quicker to prepare than the original recipe, with all the same benefits. It is more soothing than a warm cup of milk with a little honey, and a lot more healthy.
So how do you make this deliciously healing beverage?
- Turmeric (fresh or powdered)
- Hand full of nuts (I have use Coconut flake, Brazil nuts or Almonds)
- 5 Cardamom Pods
- Clean Hot Water (Spring water is best)
- Sweetener of your choice (I like local organic honey)
To make this elixir you will need a good blender and a strainer. I use a Vitamix and a metal strainer but the best advice I can give is: "do the best you can with what you have."
Here are the steps
- Put about a liter of the hot water along with the nuts, cardamom pods, and a thumbs worth of ginger into the blender. If you are using fresh turmeric root put in about 2 inches of that also. If you are using powdered turmeric add it in step 5.
- Turn the blender on and blend until the sound coming from the blender is smooth and there are no more sudden cracks and pops.
- Strain the contents through the strainer into a bowl using a spoon to squeeze all of the liquid from the nut pulp. I learned not to use a nut milk bag because it can be too hot to handle from the hot water.
- Rinse the blender out and pour the liquid back into the blender.
- Add in your sweetener, a pinch of salt, and if you are working with powdered turmeric add in a teaspoon or two.
- Blend, serve, sip and enjoy
So next time you go to the store, stock up on the simple ingredients to make this delicious elixir. Then go ahead and push yourself a little bit more, either in your work, play, or your training, with the confidence that you will be able unwind fully and have the healing benefits, increased adaptability, and relaxing effects of this magical turmeric drink.
Yours in Health